The Law Society of Yukon is authorized by the Legal Profession Act to regulate the practice of law and the legal profession in the public interest.It protects the public interest in the administration of justice by setting and enforcing standards of learning, competence and professional conduct for lawyers.
The Law Society of Yukon is not an advocacy group for lawyers.
The Law Society of Yukon provides a range of services for lawyers, such as:
- Continuing Legal Education sessions at low cost;
- referrals to practice advisors;
- guidance on practice issues;
- and counseling services.
The Law Society of Yukon establishes and enforces standards of practice so that the public receives high quality legal services. It protects the public interest in the administration of justice by:
- taking action against people who illegally offer legal services or who present themselves as lawyers when they are not;
- administering discipline and standards of admission to maintain the professional integrity of the profession; and
- maintaining a special compensation fund to help repay clients who have lost money because of the theft of funds or property by a lawyer.